Manchester United are set to include an unexpected clause in Alejandro Garnacho’s proposed move to Chelsea
Alejandro Garnacho’s future at Manchester United looks to be over, with the winger now on the brink of joining Chelsea after a turbulent summer.
The 21-year-old was told by new United boss Rúben Amorim that he was free to find another club following the fallout from May’s Europa League final defeat to Tottenham, where Garnacho voiced his frustration at only playing the final 20 minutes despite featuring throughout the earlier rounds. “Up until the final, I’d played every game, and then today just 20 minutes… I don’t know,” he admitted afterwards.
Since then, the Argentine has been linked with a host of clubs, including Napoli, Chelsea, and teams from Saudi Arabia. Now, according to a report from The Athletic on Thursday, August 28, Chelsea have struck an agreement with United to bring Garnacho to Stamford Bridge, in what could be one of the window’s biggest late moves.
Garnacho set for £40m Chelsea move as United sanction first sale of summer
Alejandro Garnacho’s time at Manchester United is coming to an end, with the 21-year-old winger on the verge of completing a high-profile transfer to Chelsea.
According to The Athletic, the London club have agreed a deal worth £40 million with United, structured as a fixed fee. Garnacho is expected to put pen to paper on a long-term contract running until 2032 after undergoing a medical on Friday.
The transfer marks United’s first sale of the summer, and the club could benefit further from a 10% sell-on clause included in the package.
Garnacho departs Old Trafford having made 144 appearances since his 2022 debut, recording 26 goals and 22 assists. Among his standout moments were scoring in the 2023/24 FA Cup final victory over Manchester City and being part of the squad that lifted the 2022/23 Carabao Cup against Newcastle.
For Chelsea, Garnacho will become their tenth signing of a busy summer, joining Jorrell Hato, Estevao, Jamie Gittens, Joao Pedro, Kendry Páez, Mamadou Sarr, Liam Delap, Jesse Derry, and Dario Essugo as the club continues its aggressive recruitment strategy.
The move follows a turbulent few months for Garnacho, who was told by new United boss Rúben Amorim he could leave after expressing frustration at his limited role in the Europa League final defeat to Tottenham back in May.
Once confirmed, his switch to Stamford Bridge will close the door on his United career while opening a fresh chapter in West London under Chelsea’s new-look squads
More United exits expected before deadline
Garnacho may not be the only departure from Old Trafford this summer. With the September 1 transfer deadline fast approaching, several other players are also being tipped to move on.
Reports suggest that Rasmus Højlund is close to sealing a loan switch to Napoli, with transfer insider Fabrizio Romano stating on Thursday: “Matter of short time and Rasmus Højlund will become a new Napoli player.”
Elsewhere, Antony, who has struggled to secure a regular role under Rúben Amorim, is being linked with a second loan spell at Real Betis. Meanwhile, Jadon Sancho could also be heading for the exit, with AS Roma strongly interested in securing his services.
With uncertainty still surrounding multiple squad members, United’s business looks far from finished, and the coming days are set to be decisive for both arrivals and departures