A huge update regarding the ongoing transfer saga involving Alexander Isak has dropped ahead of Newcastle United’s match against Leeds United
Over the past few weeks, speculation has continued to swirl around the future of Alexander Isak, 25, with the striker repeatedly linked with a move away from St. James’ Park.
All summer long, Newcastle United have insisted that their Swedish star was not for sale. However, tensions escalated when Isak himself posted on social media, claiming that certain “promises” made to him by the club had been broken — a clear sign of his desire to leave.
Earlier in the window, Liverpool saw an initial bid rejected, but the Reds could now be ready to return with an improved offer. Newcastle’s recent signing of Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart has only fueled speculation, suggesting the Magpies may be preparing for life after Isak.
Ahead of Newcastle’s Premier League clash with Leeds on Saturday evening, a major update emerged. Journalist Jan Aage Fjørtoft took to social media, declaring that a deal for Isak to Liverpool is essentially complete.
On X, he wrote:
“Re: Alexander Isak. Understand Isak — deal is done. Newcastle away at Leeds tonight, so nothing expected before that I am told.
Fee will be £130m. Isak to Liverpool likely to happen very soon.”
If confirmed, this blockbuster transfer would mark one of the most dramatic moves of the summer window, with Liverpool securing a marquee signing to bolster their attack.
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has admitted that the ongoing speculation around Alexander Isak’s future is largely out of his hands.
When asked if the saga was beyond his control, Howe explained that he can’t afford to spend too much time on the issue, as his focus has to remain on the players available to him and on getting results.
“I’ve felt for a long time that if I dwell on the Alex situation, it will take energy away from the 25–30 players who need my full attention,” Howe said. “The team needs me focused on results, and that’s exactly what I’ve tried to do.”
The Magpies boss stressed that others at the club are handling the transfer situation, leaving him to concentrate on preparing the squad.
“Other people are dealing with that for me. From my perspective, it’s about working with the players who are here and who can affect results,” Howe added.
He also acknowledged the difficulty of managing distractions during a turbulent summer but praised his squad for the way they’ve coped with the uncertainty.
“Once the season starts, you enter a completely different mindset. It’s already tough enough with all the outside noise, but I think the players have handled it really well.”